Thursday, May 15, 2014

Skeered Straight

I recently had a LGBT friend send me a link to a story about the LGBT community being warm and welcoming when one first comes out, but quickly distancing themselves when one actually wants to partner up because one is overweight or even just a little on the chubby side.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/louispeitzman/it-gets-better-unless-youre-fat

My first thought when reading this was that surely this was written by the homophobic community, because nothing would go further in scaring me straight (were I experimenting in college for example) than finding out that the LGBT community was no different, was just as shallow, as the straight community.  This has the potential to do their mean spirited, bigoted work for them. I mean I can get rejected and ridiculed and wind up alone with a magazine, some tissues and a jar of vasoline on any given night on my own in the straight community. My one hope was that maybe, should I decide to experiment one day, that I could find acceptance in the LGBT community.

Now that I find out, it is no different than my own heterosexual group I think I will just stay straight thank you very much. I already have a complex over being rejected by my own people, if I were to add being rejected for being pudgy by someone else I would just as well walk into an "All You can eat" Buffalo Wing and Tapioca Pudding restaurant and end it all right there.

Listen to me homophobic community (yes I am looking directly at you "Moral Majority" and "Focus on the Family"). Here you have a Pro-LGBT article telling us that they are no different than the heterosexuals are. And before you come after me with pitchforks and torches think about it, what better way to keep the wandering, inquisitive amongst you straight than to point out that the gay community is no different? That they will be treated no differently there, that they can be rejected and ridiculed for being overweight and pimply challenged. Who would even WANT to switch sides if they are just going to suffer the same? You should be passing this article around like a proud father does cigars (or used to pass out that is before the tobacco temperance crusade ended that tradition).

My point is this, we continually get more and more evidence that the LGBT community is no different in ANY way that the heterosexual community. It contains loving, committed couples who just want to have a family and be left alone. It contains greedy, selfish, hoarding bastards just like the dynamic Donald duo (Trump and Sterling). It contains self absorbed, shallow asshole bullies who mock and ridicule the more solidly built amongst us. It is full of lost, lonely, people searching for love, acceptance, and meaning who are created and loved by God as they are.

They aren't going to give you "gayties" (that's gay cooties) just by touching or proximity. They aren't going to follow you around, drooling and lusting after you in the locker room at the golf course. Actually odds are that if you are among the more "sturdily" built, the kind that wouldn't be moved in a windstorm, even being a bigoted, judgmental asshole, then you they wouldn't want to touch you anyway. So why get bent out of shape about it?

Surely we can extend them some tolerance and acceptance of our own and treat them as the worthy, honorable human beings they are. It's the least ANY of us deserve.

2 comments:

  1. Richard, this is an excellent take on the subject; sardonic, a bit sarcastic, and spot-on.

    ReplyDelete