Monday, May 19, 2014

I am not a smart man...

Perusing through the responses from modern evangelical church leaders about the current debates over homosexuality and same sex marriage, I see a lot of "so and so has not been to seminary", "so and so is not theologically trained", and other similar statements. So, the dividing line between correct interpretations and incorrect is being theologically trained? Going to a seminary? If so, then to paraphrase Forrest Gump, "I am not a smart man". I am a theological idiot (no replies from the peanut gallery on the idiot part please).

Call me stupid but I thought that part of the point of Jesus was that we could now have a personal relationship with God through him. That we didn't need anyone to intercede for us. That we didn't need a go between. That we didn't need an "interpreter". After all, the Jews had had such for a long time and obviously were getting a lot wrong, hence part of the reason for Jesus to come along. Most of Jesus most scathing diatribes and condemnations were for the so called "Theologically trained", leaders of the church (or faith) who were keeping people out with their rules and prohibitions.

When condemning the Pharisees Jesus never said they were wrong (or right for that matter), what he called them out for was the wrong focus. They were keeping people out of heaven by their "holier than thou" attitude and behavior. I don't question that they truly believed they were serving God and fighting for God, but all they were doing was driving people away and making it impossible for them to see the light. Maybe it is time, we take a look in the mirror and ask ourselves, "Is this exactly what we are doing today with our reliance on seminary and "theological" training? We can have all the right thinking and training we want, but if all it does is alienate people and drive them away, where is the good in it?

But now, 2000 years later, if you disagree with the "brain trust", but haven't been to seminary you are ignorant and wrong. We may in fact be wrong, but it isn't because we have or have not been to seminary or are "theologically" trained.

Not to mention that there are plenty of seminaries to choose from.. there are super conservative seminaries, there are super liberal seminaries, and more in between. Which ones are right and which ones are wrong? Who decides? Who watches the watchmen?

I don't see the calling out of not being "theologically" trained for those who agree with the "brain trust"? If one agrees but has not been to seminary or been "theologically" trained then where did one get such right knowledge? How can one have the right knowledge without going to such a place? Oh wait... that's right, they got it from you who HAVE been "theologically" trained at a seminary.

Last time I checked, I understood a personal relationship as meaning that it was between me and some other person. That only the 2 of us understood the fullness of it, and that only the 2 of us knew what it entailed. Anyone else could only observe from the outside and make judgements based on sch incomplete evidence. For example, if myself and a friend, were observed berating each other and insulting each other and calling each other some of the most demeaning things, an outsider could only interpret that as we were about to throw down. However, in truth, that is how my friend and I interact. WE both understand this and accept this and know that neither of us mean any of it and that we would have the other's back in a heartbeat. But without that intimate knowledge one can only truthfully see a fight getting ready to happen.

So, if I have a personal relationship with Jesus, then NO ONE else can speak to that or tell me how to live it since they aren't part of it. And if in that relationship, I don't feel Jesus telling me to shame my LGBT friends for their lifestyle then where do you get the right to tell me I am wrong? Oh wait.. I forgot, all that theological training at seminary gives you that right. My apologies.

Not to mention, now, 2000 years later, who's to say that we haven't still gotten something wrong. The truth is, even the theological training and doctrine  most of us accept and follow still started out as someone's interpretation. I am not saying, any interpretations are wrong or right, I am not qualified enough to make that judgement.. my point is that neither are you. Even if you have been to a seminary.

Seminaries help in certain ways, of that I have no doubt, but they are not the be all, end all of theological training or knowledge. And attending one does not make you any better, any smarter, or any closer to the truth and God than anyone else.

I still choose to believe that my relationship with Jesus trumps your theological training and seminary degree, and I am tired of being treated as an idiot when I disagree just because I have not been to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment