Friday, May 16, 2014

I want a refund.

I think I got ripped off when I bought my Bible and am thinking about taking it back and asking for a refund. Judging (oops, I am judging already, see where an incomplete Bible is already getting me) from the talk of a lot of mainstream, evangelical Christian leaders such as Al Mohler, Pat Robertson, Denny Burk, and others, my Bible is apparently incomplete and I am missing some sections.

My Bible (the one I purchased and have been reading and trying to follow at any rate) does not contain a version of the 10 Commandments where homosexuality and same sex marriage are forbidden and outlawed. It also omits the parts of the Gospels and Jesus sayings where he specifically called out LGBT individuals and their lifestyles. It omits the prohibitions against same sex marriage. I am also missing the sections where divorce is still OK with and approved by God, especially if the person has committed adultery, or heaven forbid gets Alzheimers.

I must have either bought a poorly edited version or a faulty one because it contains NONE of those things I mentioned above. But apparently these wise Christian leaders have the complete versions with the missing sections, that must be the kind you can only get by going to seminary. This must be the reason I can never find complete happiness and joy in life outside of Heaven. It must also be the reason I am so conflicted in how to treat people, see the Bible I have teaches me (and convicts me) that I should treat EVERYONE equally. As Human Beings created and loved by God, AS THEY ARE. As fallible, emotional, lonely, seeking, loving creatures. It teaches me that I am NO better than any of them are, and that I have no right to judge them (well, mine does allow me to judge and belittle graduates and fans of the University of Texas, the Oakland Raiders, the New York Yankees and Detroit Red Wings because they are all obviously spawns of Satan) in ANY capacity.

Now, my Bible does mention relations between same sexes but it also says I shouldn't eat Pork (sorry but I love bacon far too much to give that up), shouldn't eat shell fish (sorry, but I enjoy Joe's Crab Shack and Red Lobster far too much), amongst other prohibitions. But wait, those are ok for us now... since Jesus came, we are no longer beholden to those, but we are to some others? I don't understand.. so some are ok to ignore but not others? Who gets to decide that?

I am told that my relationship with God through Jesus is a personal relationship, just the 2 of us. So doesn't that mean I get to interpret such stuff? Or I am missing yet another section where that is explained to me?

I try to follow the 10 commandments (as best as I can, which isn't anywhere near good enough) and I try to follow the red words in the New Testament. Outside of those things the rest is just someone's interpretation (I await your angry comments and emails), and thus not any better than my own.  I may be proven wrong one day but when and if that happens, it will be by God himself (again, just using the male pronoun I am most familiar with) and not another human being. Until then, I will leave the judgement up to him and just try to love my fellow human beings as well as I can. Maybe it is some thing we should ALL try.

2 comments:

  1. You left out the YANKEES in your "Spawns of Satan" list!?!?!

    I am re-evaluating our friendship....;-)

    (excellent post!)

    ReplyDelete